About Bainbridge Church of God
At Bainbridge Church of God, we pursue the Glory of God through worship, ministry, giving and education. We strive to connect with Jesus Christ and to each other, in order to magnify His name. At the heart of everything we do is the understanding that we must love God with all our heart, with all our soul, and with all our mind, and to treat our neighbors as we wish to be treated ourselves.
Our Mission is to Know Christ and to Make Christ Known.
The Church of God of Bainbridge, Pa, is one of the oldest in its denomination, having originated through prayer meetings and preaching in 1832. Prayer meetings were started in the local tavern along the canal with strong preaching and testimonies. In late 1841, a great revival of several weeks was held and 45 souls were converted. The following spring, baptizing services were held at the river, which drew a crowd estimated at over 3000 persons! Many came from distant points to witness this sight, unusual for this locality. From
this time on, the membership grew and the members now considered building a house of worship. On the second Monday of March 1842, the Church of God at Bainbridge was formally organized and church officers were elected. At the same time and place, a building committee was appointed to arrange for building a house of worship. This frame “meeting house” was completed in December 1842, and dedicated on December 25, 1842. The present building was completed in the spring of 1879 and dedicated May 5, 1879. The building was constructed for $3,500 and was considered to be the best in the county.
Over the years there has been over 50 pastors but from 1952 until 2015 there have been only five; John Brandt 1952-1987, Leroy Achenbach 1987-2003 and Tim Landis from 2003-2015, Richard Vaughn from 2016-2018, and Trevor Reece is our Current Pastor coming to us in July of 2019.